What is Uniqueness?
Being Unique. One of a kind. Special. Unrepeatable. Once-in-a-lifetime. This is You. There never was, nor will there ever be, another you. Even identical twins raised in the same household have distinctly different personalities, intelligence, likes/dislikes, and talent. They may look alike, but they can delight in their individual uniqueness.
You are significantly different than your parents. You are part of Generation Z (born in 1993 or later) and may share some of these traits.
- Your attention span is shorter; you have so much information to process faster due to technology. If you’re not careful, you can become addicted to your digital toys.
- You can multi-task, shifting from one thing to another while ignoring background distractions
- You want to succeed quickly. If there’s a more efficient, non-traditional route, you will take that opportunity.
- You want to be independent when you go to work; you think about starting your own business someday.
- You believe happiness is more important than how much money you earn, and you will change careers/employers to be happy.
- You care about the environment and social justice, not just in the U.S., but globally. You believe in diversity and opportunity for everyone.
You are part of a new, energized generation. You get to pick who you are and what you do. Celebrate your individuality. If you don’t recognize the special in you, ask your grandma, parent, or friend. They’ll tell you what they see.
Remember, change is inevitable. You will be different in six months, a year, etc., than you are today. You will have new classes, will make new friends, will learn and try new stuff. Look forward — see all the opportunities that are waiting for the unique you.